Prom Night


Prom season is upon us! Remember when prom wasn't the outrageous expense that it is today? At my prom we didn't need to rent a limo, my boyfriend at the time,  had borrowed his dad's Lincoln which everyone had dubbed "the boat". My dress didn't cost thousands of dollars, and it certainly didn't have a designer label.    Also, it would never occur to me to go to a tanning salon prior to the prom. Me and my best friend would usually park ourselves in some lawn chairs out back and try to get some sun prior to the prom to get some color...but I recall it being a little chilly since it was still April. I painted my own nails and my mom helped me with my hair (I remember I had cut my hair short about a month prior, because I wanted to look like Olivia Newton-John...her video "Physical" was incredibly popular at the time and I loved her hair in that!)

We danced the night away to Hall & Oats, J. Geils Band, Soft Cell, Quarterflash and many other 80s bands of the day....We even danced to SUPERFREAK! Prom night was just a fun "grownup" night out and was our first taste of "adulthood". Everyone would always go drinking before and after the prom, and of course there was always one person who drank too much and ended up puking in the bathroom! Prom night also was a night where girls/boys would mostly likely lose their virginity...if they hadn't already. Most kids I knew hadn't back then, but I'm sure that's not the case today, since kids start being sexually active at such a young age now!  Nowadays, the poor guy can't simply just ask a girl to the prom, he has to be creative in how he does it, and then post it on YouTube!  These days its more like a competition, who has the biggest limo, who has the most expensive dress.....its kind of sad.

Comments

Eartha Kitsch said…
I didn't go to prom but no, I don't remember most people doing any of the extravagant stuff. A few kids might go in together and rent a limo but those were the minority. Love your prom photo!
Yes, prom expectations are so much bigger and more expensive these days, aren't they? I wonder what poor kids do who can't afford all that glitz and expense. Of course, not everyone could afford to go to prom even back in the old days. Still had to buy the dress, rent the tux and get the corsage.
CraveCute said…
I agree, it has gotten completely out of hand! This is really hard on the kids that can't afford this kind of one-up-manship! Love your retro-vintage picture... reminds me of my youth!! Those were the days, right!?
SUZY8-TRACK said…
It seems that expectations are much higher now than they were back when I was in high school. Most of my friends who went to prom went with a group and they all chipped in for the limo because it was too expensive otherwise. My boyfriend John couldn't afford a limo, but his dad had this big ole Lincoln from the 70s that was massive! Funny story about when I was asked to the prom, I had met him at a dance one weekend, and the following Friday we had our first date. That Sunday, me and my sister were in a car accident and I ended up having to stay in the hospital for a week. John was nice enough to visit me while I was there, and he asked me to prom right there beside my hospital bed! I know I looked a mess and couldn't believe he had asked me! It was very sweet!
SUZY8-TRACK said…
Crave Cute: Yes they were the days!

Popular Posts