Happy Groundhog Day!


Well, Punxsutawney Phil has predicted 6 more weeks of winter...but lately it has been feeling more like spring!  Yesterday it was over 60 degrees out!  I know that everyone in my office was suffering from Spring Fever yesterday, even though its only the beginning of February.  Ed keeps warning me that we should brace ourselves for a massive snowfall soon, but so far we have only seen about 2" total this winter, which is unusual. 

I'm not sure why this ritual is so popular, especially since Phil is only correct about 30% of the time with his predictions!  Honestly, if you think about it, its a stupid ritual that they have been doing since 1887!  hard to fathom that it has gone on as long as it has.  You stand out in the cold for hours, waiting for a groundhog to emerge from a stump to tell you whether or not there will be an early spring....hardly sounds like a tourist attraction.  Oddly enough, going to see Phil is an item on some bucket lists out there.  I suppose I would put it in my bucket list too, especially since I love the movie Groundhog Day and have always wanted to go at least once in my life to say I did it.  My sister went many years ago and told me that it was ok, but that the town was a bit rundown and dirty.  I'm sure that they have cleaned it up since then, because it now attracts tourists from other countries too.  Perhaps one of these days I'll head out to Punxsutawney.

Comments

Popular Posts