Mugsy

Over much deliberation, I've decided that I need to find Mugsy a new home.  It is breaking my heart and I'm crying as I'm typing this out.  As you know, I'm moving in with Ed into his condo.  In his building, pets are not allowed, but he does have a cat named Mooby.   Needless to say, we are terrified that the building management will find out about the cats and proceed to charge us an extra $300 a month (which neither of us can afford).  To keep the peace, Ed has suggested trying to find Mugsy a new home since Mooby has already been living here for 5 years.  Even though I've only had Mugsy a very short time, I'm very depressed about having to lose him.  He came into my life shortly after Sammy passed away...or perhaps I encouraged him to come into my life because I was feeling lonely without Sammy here.  He helped to fill a void and I'm forever grateful to him, but I'm having a really hard time letting go.  I'm asking all my friends and family out there to see if there is any interest in taking him in, preferring not to take him to a local animal shelter.  There is a no-kill animal shelter nearby that I may check out, and perhaps even offer to volunteer there, especially since I love working with animals (I used to be a Veterinary Technician and a pet sitter).  If I have to give up the Mugster, I want him to have the best home possible.  He is such a wonderful cat and I'm really going to miss him terribly.  I love you Mugsy!

Comments

I'm sure Mugsy will find a new home, especially if you take him to the no-kill shelter. To be fair, Mooby should be taken there too so you and your boyfriend can start your new life together on an equal footing of each having given up his/her pet to be in compliance with the no-pets policy. That's just my 2 cents worth.
Eartha Kitsch said…
Oh no....I'm so sorry. It's so, so hard to give up a loved baby like that. If you can't get him in that no-kill shelter, look on Petfinder to see if there are any cat rescues in your area that you can contact. I think? this link should work:

http://www.petfinder.com/awo/search?keyword=&action=state&state=PA&limit=75

And I don't know if HOKAFI in Mechanicsburg will take cats from other areas but they are really amazing. Please let us know how things go.
SUZY8-TRACK said…
Thanks! I really wish I could keep him, but our circumstances are quite precarious as it is...the building we live in doesn't allow cats, and Ed already has a cat that he snuck in. Sadly the no-kill shelters in the area are full, so I'm going to check out petfinder. I also have some wonderful friends who are helping me put out the word on facebook. I do not want to send him to a shelter and will do what I can to avoid that at all costs. This cat is too special for that!
SUZY8-TRACK said…
I'm secretly hoping that Mugsy will stay with us in the end, espcially since our living circumstances are only temporary until we can buy another place.
Eartha Kitsch said…
I was thinking about you this morning and the situation. About 10 years ago, my first husband and I had just moved to a new city and into an apartment complex that we very much wanted to be in. Before we relocated, we had two kitties. The apartment would only allow one pet so I had to choose which one to give away. It was HORRIBLE.

In the end, I gave my calico away to a lady who promised to call me immediately if she ever decided that she could not keep her. I found out months later that she had taken her to the animal shelter because she started peeing around (most likely due to unhappiness) and it broke my heart. I've never forgiven myself.

The worst part was that in the end, we learned that people all over that apartment complex had more than one pet in their apartments. And it's harder to notice when people have more than one cat (as compared to dogs). I even ended up bringing in another cat while we lived there. I have never forgiven myself for giving my Rosie up for an apartment. Maybe give it some time. They might not ever say anything and you won't have to make this choice. Just start planning on that move and work towards it and picture yourself there with both cats living happily.
SUZY8-TRACK said…
Not having any luck with the no-kill shelters. One that I contacted may have an opening soon, but they will let me know. I'm going to try to convince Ed that Mugsy will have to stay with us for a short time until we can find him a home....and perhaps it will all work out somehow. He seems so dead set against having him there because Mooby is freaked out. But in my experience, that is normal and eventually they will get along. I really want Mugsy to have a good home with either me or someone else, but he is NOT going to a regular shelter.

Popular Posts