Pottery

Picked up all of these at thrift stores and flea markets.  Some are dated from the late 60s.

I always love me some pottery.  When I go to a flea market or thrift store, I'm always on the lookout for new pottery pieces to add to my ever growing collection.  Most of the pieces in my collection were probably made by art students in the 60s and 70s, but I think that's what I love about them....they are not perfect by any means, but it adds to their charm.  While shopping at my local Salvation Army store, I came across this beauty.  It was so unusual and different, that I had to have it.  Think I paid a whopping $1.00 for it.  On the bottom it is marked 1058 W. GERMANY.  The bowl is in the shape of a leaf and the bottom portion of the bowl is glazed while the inside has more of a matte finish with green paint and a black crosshatch pattern.  I've had it for a few years but never really thought to find any more information about it. Sadly, its not in pristine condition since it got damaged in my last move and now has a couple of chips. I'm hoping that someone could shed some light on who made this and perhaps when it was made.  I'm interested in the design and to perhaps try to find more by the artist or manufacturer.  I've been looking, but haven't come up with anything yet.  I'ts unusual and I've never seen anything like it before and I would love to get my hands on some more.  



Comments

jadedj said…
Well you just piqued my former museum curator juices.

I didn't identify the exact pottery mark, but this could lead you to it, with a little digging.

http://www.ginforsodditiques.com/wgcomp.nocom.html
I especially like the first vase on the left in the first photo!
SUZY8-TRACK said…
Jadedj: Thanks! I'm definitely into doing a little research!

Debra: I bought that at a flea market last year for about $1. Its dated 1969.

Popular Posts