Holiday Woes

I understand that the Christmas holiday can be overwhelming to many folks...especially to those who don't even celebrate it. With all the advertising, specials on TV and all the holiday music that gets played Ad nauseam between Halloween and Christmas, its no wonder that some folks are just sick and tired of it. Over the last few years I've noticed a trend though...that many people are offended by the word "Christmas". Just recently on the local news there was a story about the Christmas village that is set up every year near City Hall. Someone complained about the word and it was hastily taken down from the village archway and now it is being called the "Holiday" village. See the story below:




Now I'm not a religious person, but I do enjoy the lights, festivities and general feeling of good will towards others. The holiday normally brings out the best in people, and that is what I celebrate, not so much the religious aspect. Why care about what its called? Its just a name!!

A few years ago I read that the home improvement store Loews sent out ads advertising "Family" Trees as opposed to "Christmas" Trees. What is that all about? I thought a family tree was someone's genealogy?!! Christmas trees are part of a Christian holiday called Christmas! Why are non-christians so offended? If the Jews wanted to put up a giant menorah up as a decoration, who am I to complain? I respect all religions right to celebrate their holidays in any fashion they choose, as long as they don't hurt anyone or do anything illegal. Interestingly enough, Loews came out with a statement saying that it was a misprint and that they were disappointed with the breakdown of the proofing process, and apologized for the error, but only after an uproar of customer complaints. I'm sorry, what other "Holiday" would have a tree in their house? certainly not Hannukah? Kwanzaa? Diwali? Ramadan? If any of those holidays want to put up decorations and celebrate, I have no problem with that, I think its great! I would not take offense. In the Loews 2007 "Holiday" catalog, the word Christmas only appears twice. In their effort to appease everyone, they ended up offending the Christians....the folks who actually BUY the Christmas trees.

There was an incident in Minnesota, where an office building was forced to take down their Christmas Tree because it offended someone. I'm not sure who I'm more offended by, the person making the initial complaint, or the spineless weasel who made the decision to take the tree down. They should have found out why this person found it offensive in the first place. Maybe they felt that their holiday was being excluded. People should not be offended by how others celebrate their holidays...what happened to tolerance??? Christmas is a time of generosity and good will....or so I thought.

In Australia, Santa is no longer allowed to say Ho Ho Ho! Apparently someone thought that it was offensive to women! Are you kidding me??? They now have to say Hee Hee Hee! Not quite the booming Santa laugh that we all have been accustomed to hearing throughout the years.

Christmas is a time for giving, and that includes LOVE! Why must everyone be so easily offended?? Lets all learn to LOVE EACH OTHER!!! What better time than the...dare I say it....Holiday season!

Comments

I don't think anyone would be offended if Christmas were a private holiday, just celebrated at home. Nor is it bothersome that stores are full of Christmas stuff because, after all, stores exist precisely to sell stuff to people. The problem arises, I believe, because publicly funded spaces which should be religiously neutral (government buildings and offices, schools, hospitals, etc. etc.) are suddenly stuffed with the religious imagery of only one segment of the population. Using taxpayers' money to promote a particular form of religion is objectionable, especially in a pluralistic country.

Popular Posts