Nino & April


As a kid growing up in the 70s, I can remember my mom putting on this album every time she cleaned the house. She must have loved this album very much, because it came out in the 60s, before I was born, but I can remember hearing it many times during my childhood. I've always loved the vocal harmonies in all of their songs. Nino Tempo & April Stevens are a brother and sister act from New York. Formed in the early 1960s when Nino and April signed as a duo with Atco Records, the group had a string of Billboard hits and earned a Grammy Award as "best rock & roll record of the year" for the single "Deep Purple". "Deep Purple" reached #1 on the Billboard charts, sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc. The album my mom has was their follow-up album to "Deep Purple" where they sing a bunch of old songs, but putting their own unique vocal sound on it.  I haven't listened to this album in many years, and I'm almost tempted to borrow it from my mom.  I can still picture my mom polishing the furniture while dancing around the living room singing along with Nino& April.

Below are some videos of Nino & April singing some of their best known hits...Enjoy!







There is a Nino & April Website with information about the history of their career. Some interesting stuff..check it out!

Comments

Popular Posts