Adventures in Thrifting! The Sequel!

Lets face it, the sequel is never as good as the original right...sad to say, but it is true in this case too.  Last weekend I went to a large flea market in the Fairmount section of Philadelphia, which wrapped around the old haunted Eastern State Penitentiary. For the most part it was a big disappointment. Stuff was priced way too high.  Many of the Fairmount residents were selling their own stuff outside their front doors too...and honestly, the neighbors had more interesting things for sale than the vendors at the flea market. I still managed to pick up a few items though.


I picked up this cute little painting of a boat.  The colors are really vivid and the photo does nothing to capture that.  Thought it would make a nice addition to my growing gallery of paint-by-numbers and thrift store art.


Picked up this bright orange bowl at the flea market.  The vendor tried to convince me that it was Murano glass...yeah right!  It looks more like Viking glassware from the 70s.  Whatever, I wasn't about to argue with her since she was only asking a couple bucks for it.  Sadly, it does have one small chip on it, but it is facing the wall, so you don't really notice it.  




Picked up these two lovelies for just four bucks.  When I see milk glass, I can't resist buying...it's a sickness.




I picked up these adorable pear shaped bowls at the flea market.  I thought they would be perfect for rings and other smaller pieces of jewelry.  Very cute.  Initially the girl wanted 8 bucks for them, but as I walked away she cut the price down to 4, but then I pointed out a small chip on one of them, and got them all for 2 bucks.

Sadly, many of the items at the flea market were overpriced.  Saw some lovely pottery pieces, but when I saw the $40 price tag, I put it down and walked away.  Seriously, its a flea market!  Prices are supposed to be cheap!  I refuse to pay more than a few dollars for pottery items.  Afterwards, me and my friends grabbed some lunch for a bit, then as we made our way home, we saw that some of the neighbors were just giving stuff away.  I managed to pick up some books and some free artwork that were just lying in a box on the sidewalk with FREE written on the side.  A disappointing day for finding great bargains, but I'm happy with what little I did manage to find.  Looking forward to another big flea market this coming Saturday, perhaps I'll find some great bargains there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
cute pear dishes!
SUZY8-TRACK said…
Thanks! I thought they were cute too.

Popular Posts