I hope I don't kill you...



I recently trekked out to Lowes Home Improvement to check out their selection of succulents (which have become an obsession with me as of late). They had a fabulous selection as well as lovely pre-filled pots. I picked up two lovely succulent displays, one in white and the other in orange. As soon as I saw the orange one, I knew I must have it!

My obession started last year when one afternoon I was walking my dog and was admiring my neighbors lovely potted plants displayed outside their home. They looked beautiful and I even took pictures of them on one of my walks. One day, my neighbors were hanging outside their home and I decided to ask them about their beautiful plants. They were both kind enough to fill me in about their succulents and how easy they were to care for. Not long after this encounter I was at Ikea in their plant department, and managed to pick up a few sad looking succulents, apparently the pickins were a bit slim, but I bought some anyway. Unfortunately, they all died before the end of the summer. I think I was a bit overzealous in my watering schedule and managed to kill some of them within a few weeks. Then I killed the rest of them because I was afraid to water them..and then they all shriveled up and died. I vowed to not let that happen again!

While at Lowes I also picked up some supplies to make my own succulent terrarium. I already had a container that is perfect for this project and did a little research online on how to make a terrarium for succulents. It's actually pretty easy, and I easily found all the supplies I needed. Basically all you need is pebble gravel, sand, cactus soil, succulents and a container with a large opening at the top. In order to prevent succulent death, I've made up a schedule for watering them which is about every 2 weeks. I have my fingers crossed that there will be no succulent casualties this summer!


Comments

Popular Posts